Measures supporting the integration of persons who are granted asylum in Lithuania:
- The programme of refugee integration implemented by the state of Lithuania, covering services of accommodation, social support, health care services, education, employment, raising awareness about the integration process.
- Support by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) which aims to encourage European Union (EU) Member States to accept refugees and to support them, and to take the responsibility for the consequences of acceptance under the EU legislation.
Institutions participating in the process of integration of persons who are granted asylum in Lithuania:
- The Ministry of Social Security and Labour, which coordinates and monitors support for persons who are granted asylum; analyses social processes related to the integration of persons who are granted asylum; prepares proposals for the development of legal acts to ensure effective provision of support for integration.
- The Department of Supervision of Social Services under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour is responsible for the analysis and evaluation of integration of foreigners who are granted asylum in Lithuania, carries out monitoring of support for integration, organises training and qualification development courses for persons from NGOs, municipalities and other institutions that work in the field of integration of persons who are granted asylum.
- The Refugee Reception Centre, which provides assistance during the 1st stage of integration.
- Institutions that provide integration services in the municipalities – NGOs or municipal institutions.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Sport, which is responsible for education of persons who are granted asylum;
- Employment Services under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour, which organizes and monitors the process of employment support and implementation of active employment policy measures.
The integration of a person who is granted asylum in Lithuania covers two stages:
- Support at the Refugee Reception Centre
The Refugee Reception Centre (the Centre) in Rukla provides integration support for a period of up to 3 months. If persons who are granted asylum are not ready to continue their integration on a municipal territory, support at the Refugee Reception Centre can be extended up to 6 months.
During the 3 months period social workers of the Centre, in collaboration with other institutions, assess refugees’ skills and professional qualifications, perform an evaluation of any health problems, disabilities, etc. Persons at the Refugee Reception Centre are also intensively taught the Lithuanian language and Lithuanian culture in order to be prepared for integration into the Lithuanian society and labour market.
As per established procedure, refugees living at the Centre receive monthly allowance (EUR 87.5) enabling them to pay for food and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Integration support at the municipal territory level
When the stage of integration at the Refugee Reception Centre is completed, further integration support is provided on the local municipality territory for up to 12 months. In accordance to the Approval of the Description on the Provision of State Support for the Integration of Foreigners who have been Granted Asylum at the Municipal Territory Level, support for the integration at the municipal territory level cannot last longer than the expiry date of the issued residence permit or until the foreigner departs from the country. The term of integration may be extended, but cannot exceed 36 months.
After refugees have moved to a municipality territory, they receive a one-time settlement allowance:
- EUR 250 for adults;
- EUR 125 for children.
During the period of integration support at a municipal territory level, refugees receive a monthly allowance for their essential needs (rent, utilities, food, transport, and so on).
For the first 6 months
As of month 7
|A family of 2||
|A family of 3||
|If a family is larger than 3 people, every additional person will receive the following additional monthly allowance||
In addition, a benefit (EUR 58,5) for school-aged children for the acquisition of essential school supplies is paid; as well as a monthly compensation in the amount of EUR 62,4 for the expenses of children’s education according to the pre-school and/or pre-primary education curricula is paid.
Integration support on the local municipality territory is provided by non-governmental organisations (NGOs) (Caritas of Vilnius Archdiocese and the Lithuanian Red Cross Society). These organisations provide curator services. Curators help refugees buy necessities, rent an apartment; pay out cash benefits; organise Lithuanian language training for refugees; organise kindergarten attendance and school education for children; advise foreigners on all issues. For instance, employment-related consultations for persons who have been granted asylum includes informational meetings with potential employers, Labour Exchange or personal competence-raising specialists, assistance in looking for jobs via job ads on the Internet or in the press, as well as through the Labour Exchange or employment agencies. When necessary, the workers also act as agents and interpreters.
Both at the Refugee Reception Centre and during the stage of integration on the local municipality territory, Lithuanian language courses are provided to persons who are granted asylum. The course at the Centre is one-month long and consists of at least 96 hours of learning the Lithuanian language and Lithuanian culture. In accordance to the Approval of the Descriptor on Provision of State Support for the Integration of Aliens who have been Granted Asylum in the Republic of Lithuania, additional 96 hours can provided if there are legitimate reasons why a person who has been granted asylum was not able to reach an A1 language aptitude level.
Language courses are also organised by the institution (NGO or municipal body) pursuing integration at the municipal level. The duration of the course is 190 hours.