|TALES@home (Talking About Language and EmotionS at home)
||– Foyer vzw, Belgium
– Soros International House, Lithuania
– Universita Degli Studi Di Palermo, Italy
– Accademia Europea Bolzano, Italy
– Hogeschool West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
– Double Helix Resources, Great Britain
– European Network of Social Authorities, Italy
||1 September 2016 – 31 August 2018
|Source of funding
||Erasmus+ programme / Strategic partnerships
||Why this project?
- Members of multilingual families sometimes struggle with the multilingual context they live in. They have negative connotations towards one or some of the languages spoken at home or in society.
- Professionals (educators, social/medical workers, teachers etc.) who face these multilingual families struggle to help them expressing these attitudes, they struggle to bend the negative connotations into positive ones.
We want to:
- address non-formal language learning in the multilingual home. More specifically the motivations and beliefs in the family about language use and learning.
- empower parents and by extension the whole family to manage language use at home and to create a positive and stimulating environment.
How do we support multilingual families?
- By creating an open atmosphere in which decisions on language maintenance/shift are considered and are debatable.
- By reinforcing the mutual understanding between different generations so they are able to handle negative attitudes and reinforce the positive ones.
What will we produce?
- A digital app used by multilingual families with support of professionals.
- A user’s guide and film to sustain professionals with practical instructions for using the app
- Training for professionals
- May 2018: International Conference: ‘Languages@home: empowering multilingual families’ in Brussels
We develop these tools by ‘User centered Design’: involving multilingual families and professionals throughout the whole project.