In 1997–2021, the Republic of Lithuania granted the refugee status to 1416 foreigners, 3923 foreigners received subsidiary protection. In 2021, the refugee status was granted to 443 foreigners and subsidiary protection was granted to 8 foreigners.
- In 2020, the refugee status was granted to 80 foreigners and subsidiary protection was granted to 1 foreigner.
- In 2019, the refugee status was granted to 79 foreigners and subsidiary protection was granted to 13 foreigners.
- In 2018, the refugee status was granted to 136 foreigners and subsidiary protection was granted to 18 foreigners.
Overall, in 2021, foreigners lodged 4259 applications for asylum in Lithuania. From the total of 4214 first-time asylum applications received in 2021, most of them were lodged by Iraq (2479), Afghanistan (295), and Belarus (258) nationals. During this period, an asylum (either the refugee status or subsidiary protection) was granted to persons from Afghanistan (192), Belarus (126), Syria (68), Eritrea (29), Russia (13), Iraq (7), Tajikistan (7), Azerbaijan (3), Turkey (3), Yemen (1), China (1), and Lebanon (1).
In 2021, 2768 asylum applications were denied. The procedure of consideration was terminated to additional 532 applications.
During the first half-year of 2022, foreigners lodged 606 applications for asylum in Lithuania. The refugee status was granted to 136 foreigners, subsidiary protection was granted to 9 foreigners, and temporary protection was granted to 50 167 foreigners.
In 2021, following the request by other European Union Member States, the Republic of Lithuania took over the consideration of 390 asylum applications (most of them – 250 – lodged in Germany). 212 foreigners were relocated to Lithuania from other EU countries (2 Afghanistan, 2 Eritrea / South Sudan, 17 Eritrea, and 179 Afghanistan / Tajikistan nationals).
In 2021, 2078 foreigners (mostly – 1220 – Iraqi nationals) participated in the social integration program at the Refugee Reception Center. During the same year, 482 foreigners (mostly – 220 – from Afghanistan) participated in the social integration program run by municipalities.
Last year, 53 foreigners (mostly – Belarusian nationals) embraced an opportunity to work provided that their asylum application is still in process.
- Migration Department
- Migration Yearbook 2020 (only available in Lithuanian)
- Key migration indicators of the 1st half-year of 2021 (only available in Lithuanian)
- Refugee Reception Center data (only available in Lithuanian)