Migration Department announced that beginning 1 August 2022, new provisions of the Law on the Legal Status of Aliens will come into force. The changes will affect foreign students who wish to study and work (during the period of their studies or after the graduation).
- Temporary residence permit will only be issued to a foreigner admitted to study at an educational institution under a formal vocational training program. Foreigners enrolled under a non-formal vocational training program will not be able to apply for a temporary residence permit.
- A foreigner who studies in a foreign country and has entered into an internship contract in Lithuania will now be able to apply for a temporary residence permit, regardless of whether the intended internship and the studies fall into the same field of engagement.
- A temporary residence permit will now be issued for the duration of the studies and for additional 6 months thereafter, provided the foreigner is in their senior year (previously, the permit would be issued for the duration of the studies and for additional 3 months).
- A foreigner who is a doctoral student will now be issued with a temporary residence permit for 3 years (previously, the permit would be issued for 2 years).
- A temporary one-year residence permit for the purposes of job search will now be issued both to foreigners who have finished studies and to those who have completed vocational training in Lithuania (under a formal vocational training program).
- Family members of a foreigner studying for a master’s or doctoral degree will now be able to apply for a temporary residence permit on the basis of family reunification. This eligibility will also extend to the family members of a foreigner who has already completed such studies and has a temporary residence permit for the purposes of job search.
- A foreigner who has completed studies or training in Lithuania under a formal vocational training program will now be allowed to apply for a work-related temporary residence permit under a simplified procedure within 10 years from the completion of their studies or training (compared to the previous 2-year deadline).